Mum always taught us kids, to have dreams. They also taught us to chase them.
Maybe that’s why my brother is a professional percussionist, my sister is a tourism operator with incredible foresight and I’m a writer. We found something we loved, something we dreamed about about and made it happen.
Full moons make me feel lots of things. Wistful, hopeful… All that sort of thing.
I have a few dreams I haven’t managed to make happen yet – I think the new term for this, is ‘bucket-list’. Things I really want to do before I’m too old to.
It’s not very big, not very long but probably reasonably expensive – as a lot of these things are. Which is possibly why they are just that – dreams!
Anyway, here’s my list.
1. To do a photography course and get much better at this hobby that I really, really love.
2. Ride in a hot air balloon at sunrise.
2.5 Be in the audience of the ABC Book Club with Jennifer Byrne.
3. Spend my 50th birthday in Italy (I actually wanted to do that for my 40th, but since that’s come and gone, I guess that isn’t going to happen!
4. Visit Yorkshire and see the country where James Herriot wrote his books.
So here’s my plan to achieve these.
1. I enrolled in an online photography course on Friday. You’ll probably see the spoils of that cropping up over the next few weeks – please bear with me and be kind!
Tick for number one.
2. We’re going to visit my sister-in-law in Cairns in July. And we’re going to ride in a hot air balloon then.
Tick for number two.
2.5 Still working on that.
3. No plan. Just dropping hints.
4. No plan. Haven’t got to the dropping hint stage yet.
So, do you have these sort of dreams? Something that you’ve wanted to chase, do, achieve? I’d love to hear about them, and, how you plan on putting them into action. Because you have to, you know.
After all, we only live once.